At most Budget locations in the U.S. and Canada, when reserving more than 16 hours before the pick-up time, you may pay toward your rental online at budget.com — and you could even enjoy a discount for doing so.
Making Changes to Your Prepaid Reservation
- A reservation payment on budget.com is a real-time transaction – the card you use is immediately authorized and charged when you confirm your desire to prepay.
- After reservation confirmation, the method of payment cannot be changed nor may a voucher or Budget rental certificate be used for charges.
- When you pick up your prepaid rental:
- You must present the same card that you used for online payment.
- All rental credentials required by the Budget location must be presented, and the name on those credentials must exactly match the name on the reservation. At a minimum, a valid driver's license and major credit card (or debit card if accepted at your location - see rental terms and conditions) in the driver's name is required.
- All location credit and debit card hold rules will apply. Read the terms and conditions in the online reservation process for specific hold amounts and debit card rules at your rental location. Upon paying your rental with a Debit Card, Budget will generally request an authorization hold against your account for the estimated charges of the rental but reserves the right in its sole discretion, to request extra value based on certain factors as we deem appropriate. Some exceptions may apply. THESE FUNDS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE.
- When the rental is over we will process the reversal but the bank may take time to post it back to the account - unless you already paid toward your rental, in which case the hold will be only $100 USD. While this hold is in place, the funds will not be available for your use.
- For security reasons, if you are unable to satisfy the credential or hold requirements at the location in which you pick up your car, you will not be allowed to rent. To request a refund for the prepaid reservation, use your reservation confirmation number to retrieve your prepayment information either on budget.com or by calling 800-214-6094 7:30 AM-7:30 PM Mon – Fri; 8:00 AM-6:30 PM Sat – Sun CST. A $25 processing fee will apply.
Canceling a Prepaid Reservation
- Prior to your scheduled rental pick-up time, reservation changes must be made either on budget.com or at the rental counter. Once your scheduled pick-up time passes, any changes must be made at the rental counter.
- Once you have picked up the car, any changes such as extending the rental return date must be made by calling 800-824-6287. See Full Rental Terms for additional information on extending your rental once you have possession of the vehicle.
- Reservation details that may not be changed include method of prepayment, name on the reservation, and some changes to rental location (see below). If your changes affect the total rate for the rental, the prepayment amount will not change. Underpayments will be handled at the counter at time of rental return. Overpayment refunds will be applied back to the card you used for prepayment by our central billing department within seven business days after you return your rental. Refunds will NOT be immediately credited upon rental return at the location nor will any cash refunds be given. Unfortunately, we can't promise that your prepaid daily car rate will apply if you change car types, lengthen or shorten your rental period or change your pick-up location. However, the daily car rate will apply for other changes you choose to make to your rental including adding an additional driver or options like GPS or coverages.
- Some Budget locations are not corporate-operated and do not have the ability to process prepaid reservations. For this reason, if you need to modify your reservation to change your rental location, the new rental location must be a corporate-operated location in the same country as the original rental. If you choose to modify your pick-up and/or return to a location in a different country or to one that can't process prepaid rentals, doing so will require cancellation of the original reservation along with a cancellation fee and re-booking of a new reservation at a new rate. Find out if your location is corporate-operated.
Find out more about how a Budget prepaid rental works.
- Before your rental pick-up time, you may cancel and request a refund online by entering your reservation number and last name into the appropriate fields when you view your reservation details on budget.com. Once the reservation is displayed, click the “cancel and request a refund” button and continue through the process to submit. We will review your request and credit you within approximately seven business days. Credits will be applied to the same card with which you prepaid. You will incur a $25 processing fee if you choose to cancel a prepaid reservation before the rental.
- If you don’t cancel online before your rental pick-up time, you may go online and request a refund when you view your reservation details on budget.com. Once the reservation is displayed, click the “cancel and request a refund” button and continue through the process to submit the refund request. We will review the refund request and, if applicable, credit you within seven business days. Credits will be applied to the same card with which you prepaid. Requests for no-show refunds may be submitted up to six months after the rental pick-up date. If you request a refund for a no-show rental, you will be refunded the entire amount of the prepayment less a $100 processing fee.